Pumpkin not only adds wonderful flavor to this cornbread, it also gives it a moist, tender crumb and beautiful orange hue.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly butter a Circulon 9-Inch Square Cake Pan.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, butter, honey, buttermilk and orange zest in a separate bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture until moistened; transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake until the cornbread pulls away from the sides of the pans and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and cook on a wire rack at least 10 minutes before cutting.