Quinoa is a high protein, gluten-free, easily digestible and fast-cooking whole grain that takes on flavors beautifully. Here it’s paired with snow peas, sesame and ginger to take on an Asian flair.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 3/4 cup water or broth
- 1 cup snow or sugar snap peas (about 8 ounces), stems removed and cut on the diagonal
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for a minute.
- Add the quinoa, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until quinoa is dry.
- Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pan, simmering for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and quickly remove the lid, adding the snow peas on top of the quinoa and replace lid. Let sit,undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then remove the lid and check to see if the quinoa is done. Each grain seed will have a little ring.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, along with the sesame oil. Top the mixture with the toasted sesame seeds and serve hot or warm.