This classically made pasta with carbonara sauce is everything this unspeakably rich, creamy dish should be and more—and yet, is surprisingly simple to make.
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 6 ounces thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook according to package directions; drain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes, Add the fettuccine and cook until hot, about 1 minute. Combine the eggs, cheese, milk, and pepper in a small bowl. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the egg mixture, stirring until the sauce is thick and creamy. Serve immediately.