Classic grilled cheese meets the classic Italian antipasto for a new delizioso take on a beloved family-favorite recipe.
- For the Sandwich:
- 1 large round loaf of rustic bread, cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- extra virgin olive oil
- For the Tomato Salad Topping:
- 2 large tomatoes , chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the Tomato Salad: mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Allow to marinate a few minutes while sandwich is cooking.
- For the Sandwich: Heat a Circulon Innovatum Nonstick Skillet over medium heat. Evenly coat pan with olive oil.
- Drizzle olive oil on one side of all 4 slices of bread. Layer mozzarella rounds in an even layer on two of the slices. Top with the other two slices of bread oil side down.
- Place on the skillet and cook until sandwich is golden brown on bottom, about 2-4 minutes. Carefully flip sandwich and cook on other side until golden brown and cheese is melted through.
- Remove from heat and cut into bruschetta slices. Top each piece with tomato salad and serve with extra tomato on the side.