Asian noodles, prawns and vegetables are given a sweet salty sauce and spooned into crisp lettuce leaves to enjoy with the hands. A wonderful dish to enjoy with a French Sancerre or Alsatian Dry Riesling.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 4 oz vermicelli or cellophane noodles
- 1/2 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, leaves separated
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 6 oz cooked shrimp or small prawns
- 6 large butter, radicchio or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp palm or brown sugar
- Place the cashews in a non-stick pan over medium heat and cook, shaking pan until golden and aromatic. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place noodles in a large heatproof dish and cover with very hot water. Allow to soak for 5 minutes, or until just softened. Transfer to a sieve, refresh with cold water and strain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, pepper, cilantro leaves, bean sprouts, green onion and prawns.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss through the salad.
- Place mounds in lettuce cups and scatter with the cashews. Serve straight away, wrapping the lettuce leave around the salad to eat like a wrap.