Creamy Roasted Red Onions are an amazing side dish for holiday meals and family get togethers. Red Onions are oven roasted and stuffed with a creamy onion filling and topped with a crunchy panko and bacon topping.
- For the Onions:
- 4 medium-sized red onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Filling:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, grated or minced
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel the onions. Trim the root ends so they will set upright and cut about 1/2 inch from the tops. Drizzle olive oil over onions and rub it all over. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Gently remove the centers of the onions leaving a shell (I left 2 to 3 layers).
- Return a slice of the center to each to form a bottom.
- Coarsely chop onion centers.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, salt, herbs de Provence, garlic and chopped onions.
- Spoon filling into shells.
- In a small bowl combine Panko, butter, bacon and parsley.
- Spoon carefully over stuffed onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is heated through and bread crumbs just start to brown. Serve immediately.