Make your own pie crust, or use a prepared crust to make a short-cut version of this savory pot pie.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch thick pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 flaky pie crust, made without sugar (link to recipe below)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly oil an 8-cup baking dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a Circulon Symmetry Chocolate Essentails Pan over medium-high heat. Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and add half to the saucepan. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes; transfer to a plate and reserve. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the pan and stir in the mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, parsnip, garlic, thyme and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables as slightly softened, 8-10 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 3-4 minutes. Pour in the broth, bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved beef and any accumulated juices and the Worcestershire sauce. Return mixture to a boil and cook 4 minutes. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch, return to a boil and cook until thickened 1 minute. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking sheet and let cool 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pie crust to be slightly larger than the baking dish. Place crust over filling and decoratively crimp the edges. Pierce the crust a few times with the tip of a knife. Brush with the egg.
- Bake until the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown, 23-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.