Stovetop Apple Pie
No pie plate? No problem! Start cooking apples in heavenly syrup on the stove and finish baking in the oven.
- SKILL LEVEL
- DISH TYPE
- PREP TIME
- COOK TIME
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup sugar (divided)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (divided)
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, cut into wedges)
- 1 unbaked refrigerated pie crust
- 2 teaspoons cream
- 1 Melt butter in 10-inch, oven-safe skillet; remove from heat. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Arrange apple wedges evenly in skillet, overlapping as needed. Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Place skillet over medium heat and cook until sugar mixture is light amber in color and bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3 Carefully place dough round on top of apples; cut a few slits in pastry to allow air to escape. Brush pastry with cream and the 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm or at room temperature.