Spicy Stir-Fried Chorizo and Veggie Breakfast Tacos
20-Minute savory breakfast tacos stuffed with stir-fried chorizo, eggs, and peppers – a quick and healthy way to start the day!
- 1 pound chorizo ((substitute with ground beef, if desired))
- 1 poblano pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 red or white onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup yellow or orange bell pepper (diced)
- 4 serrano peppers (seeded and finely diced)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (roughly chopped)
- 8 small taco-sized flour or corn tortillas
- 1 avocado (mashed)
- Optional: lime wedges and salsa (for serving)
Grease your skillet with oil or butter. Add chorizo and all peppers to the skillet. Sauté over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes, stirring throughout until meat is browned and peppers are tender. Use a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula to stir and break up the meat.
Gently push the peppers and meat to one side and add eggs to the bare portion of the pan. Allow eggs to cook for about 2 minutes, then incorporate them into the meat and peppers, stirring to scramble the eggs until cooked.
Sprinkle salt, paprika, and garlic powder over the mixture in the skillet. Reduce heat to low. Start preparing the tortillas while allowing contents in pan to cook.
Use 1 flour tortilla or 2 corn tortillas per taco. (Tip: If using corn tortillas, warm them in the microwave for about 15 seconds so they will be easier to work with). Spread 1-2 tablespoons of mashed avocado on the inside of each tortilla (just on the inner tortilla if using corn tortillas).
Spoon stir-fried meat, peppers, and eggs into tortillas. Sprinkle with Cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for drizzling and salsa for topping, if desired.