Quinoa with Snow Peas, Sesame and Ginger
Quinoa is a high protein, gluten-free, easily digestible and fast-cooking whole grain that takes on flavors beautifully. Here it’s paired with snow peas, sesame and ginger to take on an Asian flair.
- DISH TYPE
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger (minced)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 3/4 cup water or broth
- 1 cup snow or sugar snap peas (about 8 ounces) (stems removed and cut on the diagonal)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for a minute.
- 2 Add the quinoa, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until quinoa is dry.
- 3 Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pan, simmering for 12 minutes.
- 4 Remove from the heat and quickly remove the lid, adding the snow peas on top of the quinoa and replace lid. Let sit,undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then remove the lid and check to see if the quinoa is done. Each grain seed will have a little ring.
- 5 Add salt and pepper to taste, along with the sesame oil. Top the mixture with the toasted sesame seeds and serve hot or warm.