Potato Salad with Toasted Caraway Seeds
No need for mayonnaise with this tangy Dijon-caraway dressing.
Salad Side Dish
6 to 8
Serves a Crowd
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar ((5% acidity))
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and fresh ground pepper
Place caraway seeds in a small skillet. Toast over medium-high heat until they start to pop; remove from heat.
Rinse potatoes. Place in a 6-quart pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally for even cooking. Cook time depend on size of potatoes. Test with a sharp paring knife: potatoes are cooked sufficiently when knife pulls out rather easily. Drain and rinse potatoes in cold water several times. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut into halves or quarters depending on size. Place in a large bowl.
Sprinkle potatoes with caraway seeds, celery, parsley and onion, folding in with a rubber spatula.
Whisk together dressing ingredients until salt is dissolved; stir into potatoes.