Pickled Vegetables and Romaine Salad
The vegetables may be pickled ahead and kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Be sure to set a few aside to add to sandwiches during the week.
- 2 cups Cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (bite-sized)
- 4 mini cucumbers (cut into 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 3 carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 large shallot (thinly sliced)
- 2 hearts Romaine lettuce (about 10 cups) (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine the cider vinegar, sugar, kosher salt and garlic cloves in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 2 minutes. Combine the cauliflower, cucumbers, carrots and shallot in a large bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over, let cool 10 minutes then cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Drain the vegetables and discard garlic cloves.
Combine the pickled vegetables and romaine in a bowl. Combine the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a separate bowl; pour over romaine mixture and toss well. Serve immediately.