Pastrami Chopped Salad
All the great flavor of a pastrami sandwich, deconstructed into a salad –fuggetaboutit!
- 3 slices rye bread (cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 large red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 1 avocado (peeled,pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (chopped, about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 ounces thinly sliced pastrami (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Place the rye bread into a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake until lightly browned and crisp, 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Combine the rye bread, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, avocado, romaine, onion and pastrami in a large bowl; toss well. Combine the vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Slowly whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons oil. Pour the mixture over the salad and toss well to coat. Serve immediately.