Mascarpone-Apple Stuffed Brioche French Toast
Make this outrageous breakfast only for friends and family you want to have over regularly: once served this, they’re likely to grace your door frequently.
- 3 tablespoons + 4 teaspoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 2 large apples (such as Gala, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 (1 1/4-inch thick) slices brioche (or challah bread)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teapsoon salt
- Maple Syrup (or honey for serving)
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the apples, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender but still hold their shape, 7 - 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool 10 minutes. Stir in the mascarpone.
Place the slices of bread flat on the work surface and cut a horizontal slit in each to form a pocket. Stuff the pocket with the apple mixture.
Whisk the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, eggs, milk, and salt in a large bowl.
Preheat the oven to 200°F.
Wipe out the skillet and return to the stove over medium heat. Melt 2 teaspoons of the remaining butter. Dip two of the bread slices in the egg mixture and add to the skillet. Cook until golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining butter and bread slices.