Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese With Bacon
This Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese With Bacon is perfect comfort food for the Holidays! It’s every bit as healthy, as it is rich and indulgent… Plus it’s got bacon! What’s not to love??
- DISH TYPE
Pasta or Noodles
Everyday Fall Winter
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 5 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 6 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- parsley (optional)
- 1 In a Circulon Elementum Stock Pot, cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- 2 In a Circulon Elementum Deep Skillet or Sauté Pan, cook 6 slices of bacon until crisp. Chop up and set aside.
- 3 In the same pan, add the chopped onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until pieces are soft and lightly caramelized.
- 4 Add butternut squash cubes to the onions, along with 2 cups chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to cook until squash is soft, and most of the liquid is reduced.
- 5 Pour squash & onions from the sauté pan into a bowl and add the milk, the rest of the chicken broth, dry mustard, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Now use the immersion blender to purée until it’s completely smooth & creamy. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, a standard blender will work just fine.)
- 6 Pour puréed sauce back into the sauté pan. Over low heat, add the all of the Parmesan cheese and ¾ of the sharp cheddar cheese a little bit at a time, stirring constantly. Add the Noodles, and stir well.
- 7 Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped bacon, remaining cheese, and a bit of chopped parsley if desired.