- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced assorted wild mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped leeks
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 ounces goat cheese (softened)
Wild Mushroom, Leek, and Goat Cheese Omelet
This is an omelet equally at home on the breakfast and dinner tables. Mushrooms add meaty heft, or umami; leeks lend a sweet touch, and the goat cheese filling adds creamy tang: together they offer a great balance of texture and flavor that delivers pleasure any time of day.
Combine the eggs, chives, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Heat the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the mushrooms, leeks, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally until lightly brown, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add the butter, stirring occasionally until melted.
Cook 4 minutes or until eggs are no longer runny. Flip the omelet over and place the goat cheese on one half. Cook 2 minutes then fold half the omelet over the goat cheese and slide onto a plate; cut into 2 halves and serve.