Nutty browned sage butter gives this favorite winter squash character and depth.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a shallow roasting pan.
- Place squash, cut side down, on the prepared pan and roast until tender enough easily pierce the skin and flesh with a fork, 30-35 minutes. Let the squash stand 10 minutes then turn it over and with the tines of a fork scrape the flesh out of the shell. Transfer to a wire mesh strainer set over a bowl, cover and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sage and cook until the butter smells nutty and the solids have lightly browned. Add the lemon juice and cook 10 seconds. Stir in the squash, salt and pepper; cook, tossing, until hot, 2-3 minutes. Stir in 4 tablespoons of the cheese and mix well. Divide the squash among serving plates and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.