Using a little orange juice as part of the cooking liquid for the quinoa adds a lovely boost of bright flavor to the dish.
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder preferably Madras
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Course: Side Dish
- Combine the quinoa, orange juice and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook according to package directions. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until very hot. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir in the bell pepper and shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4-5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 1 1/2-2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the quinoa then stir in the cashews.
- Combine the lime juice, cilantro, curry powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Pour over the quinoa and mix well.