Combine hard-cooked eggs with different flavor inspirations from Spain, Italy and Provence, like sundried tomatoes, capers, and tapenade, for incredible savory sandwiches or easy hors-d’oeuvres.
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise regular or light
- 1/4 Juice fresh lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices Good bread dark rye, rye or whole grain artisan
- 1-2 Anchovies finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Sundried tomatoes in oil finely chopped
- 2 Hard-cooked eggs sliced in a slicer or by hand, separated
- 1 teaspoon Capers to taste
- 4 Butter lettuce large leaves
- 1 tablespoon Black olive tapenade (Trader Joe’s, Crespo, etc. or home-made )
- 1 small Ripe tomato sliced
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Make the dressing by combining mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Mix well with a fork.
- For the Spanish-style sandwich, spread a tablespoon of dressing on one slice of bread, then evenly distribute the chopped anchovies and sundried tomatoes over it. Layer one sliced egg on top, sprinkle with capers, and cover with two lettuce leaves. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of dressing on a second slice of bread, top, and slice in half.
- For the Provençal-style sandwich, evenly spread tapenade on one slice of bread. Layer one sliced egg on top, layer with fresh tomatoes, and cover with two lettuce leaves. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of dressing on a second slice of bread, top, and slice in half.
- Serve each person one half of each sandwich.
- Store leftover anchovies in a tightly covered glass jar covered by their own oil. Anchovy paste may be substituted.
- For an appetizer, “build” these foods on party-rye or small circles of thin rye bread and serve as canapés. Makes about one dozen.