Middle Eastern fresh herb salad with vegetables and toasted pita bread is the setting for these spiced lamb kebabs. Sumac can be purchased from specialty delicatessens and gourmet stores. Serve drizzled with a fresh yogurt and goat cheese dressing.
- 1 1/2 lbs lamb filet or loin, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pita bread
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 cup mint, torn
- 12 Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 Persian cucumber (or 1/2 English), chopped
- 10 grape tomatoes , halved
- 1 tsp sumac , optional
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice and grated zest
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp goat or sheep feta
- 1 clove garlic
- Place the lamb in a zip lock bag with the oil, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste), and massage well to cover all the meat. Set aside.
- Grill or bake the pita bread until golden and crisp. Let bread cool and then break into pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the remaining salad ingredients and set aside.
- Thread the lamb onto skewers and grill until cooked as desired.
- Just before serving, whisk or blend the dressing ingredients together. Add the bread to the salad and toss with half the dressing. Place in bowls or large cups. Top with the skewers and drizzle with the remaining dressing.