Who can resist the combination of refried beans, Chicken, cheese, avocado, salsa verde and refried beans on corn tortillas? Leftover chicken makes short work of this family friendly crowd-pleaser.
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and minced, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded colby and jack cheese blend
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of the oil in an 8-inch skillet over medium. Working one at a time, add a tortilla to the skillet and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a large baking sheet covered with paper towels and let drain. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Keep warm in the oven.
- Heat the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium; keep warm.
- Combine the tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; reserve.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken, chipotle and adobo sauce and cook, stirring, until chicken is heated through, about 1 minute.
- To assemble place tortillas on a work surface and spread each with some of the refried beans. Top with 1/4 cup lettuce, chicken, tomato mixture, cheese and sour cream.