This warm and hearty stuffing pairs whole wheat bread with fennel, sun-dried tomato and basil for a “molto delizioso” holiday side.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions chopped (1/2-inch dice)
- 3 ribs celery chopped (1/2-inch dice)
- 2 carrots chopped (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 fennel bulb trimmed, cored and chopped (1/2-inch dice)
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2/3 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound day-old whole wheat Italian bread cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves cut into thin strips
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the onion, celery, carrots, fennel and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, about 20-22 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and cook 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and add the bread, broth, eggs, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer the stuffing mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake until the stuffing is cooked though and browned on top, 45-50 minutes.