Serve this delightful meatless main course with a green salad in any season. This is a family recipe from Kathleen Barsotti, who founded Farm Fresh To You in 1976. She raised her sons on the farm, which they now own and operate.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 3 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced cabbage
- 1 tbsp dry white wine
- 1/3 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Pepper to taste
- 8 cooked jumbo macaroni shells (cooked without salt or fat)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 can low-sodium chicken broth undiluted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 can tomato paste no-salt-added
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook onion in oil or butter until tender.
- Add spinach, cabbage, and wine; sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in ricotta cheese, parsley and pepper to taste; cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon 2-1/2 tablespoons spinach mixture into each cooked macaroni shell. Arrange the shells in a baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine broth and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well; spoon sauce over shells.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Reprinted with permission by Farm Fresh To You