Use up your summer squash in this fresh and flavorful wrap, filled with spinach and sautéed squash, onion and Italian chicken sausage, topped with a creamy basil yogurt sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Italian chicken sausage links sliced and quartered
- 2 cups zucchini sliced and quartered
- 2 cups yellow squash sliced and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups white onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 cups spinach
- 4 pita wraps or tortillas
- For the Basil Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano ground
- Dash salt and pepper
- Prepare the basil yogurt sauce first by placing all ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a wok, stir-fry pan or large skillet with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add zucchini and squash to the skillet and continue to sauté until almost tender (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir in Italian chicken sausage and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and remove from heat.
- Fill each pita with one cup of spinach and top with a scoop of the sausage and squash mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and drizzle with basil yogurt sauce and serve.
Recipe developed by Kristy Denney of Sweet Treats & More