Lemongrass, coconut and other Thai-spices blend with shrimp and chicken to create a unique and satisfying warm salad.
- 1/4 cup minced lemon-grass, (bottom 5 to 6 inches only)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup Thai roasted chile paste
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp crushed dried red chilies
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup minced raw boneless chicken
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 lbs large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 5 Chinese long beans, or 20 green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths and blanched
- 1 cup roasted peanuts or macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup kaffir lime leaves, minced
- To make dressing, in a bowl combine lemongrass, limejuice, chile paste, fish sauce, sugar, and chilies. Mix and set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until chicken is no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-heat until hot. Bush shrimp with 1 tsp oil. Grill shrimp until the flesh turns pink, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Spread coconut in a small skillet; toast over medium-heat, shaking pan frequently, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine cabbage and beans with coconut, peanuts, cilantro, onion, mint and lime leaves. Add chicken and dressing; toss well.
- Transfer to serving platter; top with grilled shrimp and serve.