This sweet and salty chicken is a real crowd-pleaser. You may make the chicken and/or glaze a day or two ahead and keep refrigerated. Just before serving, re-heat the chicken on the grill pan. Glaze it in the final two minutes of cooking.
- 4 lb chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp chili-garlic sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place on a lightly oiled shallow baking sheet. Roast in the center of the oven 30 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 175°F.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the hoisin, soy sauce, sugar, and chili-garlic sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Add half the chicken and brush with some of the glaze; cook 1 minute. Turn the chicken, again brush with the glaze and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining chicken and glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.