A healthier version of a classic tomato meat ragu over pasta, this is made with lean ground turkey given smoky depth with just a little bacon.
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 12 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions; drain.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp, 7-8 minutes. Stir in the turkey and basil; cook, breaking turkey into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 7-8 minutes. Stir in onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, cook until vegetables are somewhat softened, 5-6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a simmer and immediately reduce heat to medium; gently simmer 10 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cheese, pepper and parsley and serve over penne. Top with additional cheese if desired.