Perfect for the casual weekend brunch, these pancakes are divine – the contrast between the ricotta cheese and citrus tang creates a fluffy, yet rich-tasting, pancake.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup art skim ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup milk
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; stir well. Combine ricotta cheese, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and milk; add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. In a clean bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Stir one-quarter of the egg whites into the ricotta mixture. Gently fold the remaining egg whites into the ricotta mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Spoon a scant 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.