Leeks, while in the onion family, have a gentler flavor that give this elegant soup a homey, comfort-food flavor.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a 5-Quart Covered Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook 2 minutes. Pour in the broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are very tender, 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool 10 minutes. With an immersion blender or food processor puree the soup, being careful not to over process or the soup could become gluey.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the heavy cream; bring to simmer over medium heat and cook 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chives, salt and pepper.