Ethereal flaky biscuits—the stuff of food dreams!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small dice
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives cut the butter pieces into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk until the mixture is just moistened; knead the dough 1-2 times in the bowl to bring it together. Form the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to scant 3/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/4-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and set them on a large nonstick baking sheet. Gently press the dough scraps together and re-roll to a scant 3/4-inch thickness. Cut out enough biscuits to equal 12 and place them on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of each muffin with the melted butter. Bake the biscuits until they are puffed and the tops are golden brown, 14-15 minutes. Serve biscuits warm or room temperature.