Headnote: A luscious, creamy pasta that’s easy to make and good for you too! The secret is light ricotta cheese, which creates a rich-tasting sauce that is surprisingly low in calories. Made with whole wheat pasta, bright roasted bell peppers, and artichokes, this healthy 20-minute meal is sure to be your new weeknight favorite!
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 18 ounces frozen artichoke hearts thawed
- 15 ounces par-skim ricotta cheese about 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons white wine, balsamic or champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic about 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers drained and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. With 2 minutes remaining in the pasta cook time, add artichoke hearts. Drain, then return the artichokes and pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, basil, mustard, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pour over pasta. Add sliced red peppers, capers, and parsley. Stir pasta gently to coat. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.