These nutritious muffins are a wonderfully satisfying healthful way to start the day. But don’t just relegate them to breakfast—they’re also a perfect afternoon snack.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup banana mashed, very ripe (about 3 small bananas)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups walnuts toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- Combine the flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt in a large bowl. Combine the banana, honey, sour cream, egg, butter, and extract in a separate bowl. Gently stir the banana mixture into flour mixture until just moistened, taking care that you don’t over-mix the batter. Gently fold in the walnuts. Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cups.
- Bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan at least 10 minutes before serving. Store cooled muffin in an airtight container for up to 4 days.