Make the stuffing one to two days ahead of time. Bring it to room temperature, and once the turkey comes out of the oven, put the stuffing in the oven: it will cook in the amount of time it takes for the turkey to rest and get carved.
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 8.5-ounce boxes corn muffin mix
- 7 slices thick hickory-smoked bacon
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups carrots chopped in 1/4-inch pieces (about 4 medium carrots)
- 2 cups celery chopped in 1/4-inch pieces (about 4 stalks)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 1 15-ounce can lower sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs and milk; stir in the cornbread mixture until it is well incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Let cool. Crumble the cornbread into 1-inch and smaller pieces and place on a baking sheet pan; toast in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes until lightly crisped. May be made 3-5 days before making the rest of the stuffing.