Lemon Curd can be used for many things in the pastry kitchen. It works beautifully as a filling for cakes and pies, layered in a glass with berries and cream or even just as a spread on toasted brioche. If Meyer Lemons are available in your area try using those for a sweeter, rounder taste.
- 5 whole eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, soft but not melted
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water and whisk frequently until the mixture has thickened and will hold ribbons on the surface.
- Once the mixture is thick enough, pass through a strainer into a fresh bowl to remove any clumps.
- Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the lemon curd and chill in the refrigerator.