This buttercream tastes great and is so versatile for decorating and covering cakes. Italian meringue buttercream is perfect for frosting wedding cakes because it’s made with egg whites only and no egg yolks so it ends up a shiny white color. It’s also ideal for piping and decorating work since it holds its shape and has few air bubbles. Use to frost a wedding cake, frost a cupcake, pipe buttercream flowers or pipe scrollwork on the side of a cake.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water, room temperature
- 5 large egg whites
- pinch cream of tartar
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and water to a boil. Continue to boil until sugar syrup reaches 240 – 244&def;F, soft-ball stage on a candy thermometer. As it cooks start step 2, the meringue.
- While sugar syrup is cooking, separate eggs placing whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on low to medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and whip on medium to high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, but not dry.
- With mixer running, add cooked syrup to whites in a slow but steady stream, beating on high speed. Always be careful when working with hot sugar. Beat on high speed until steam from hot syrup stops, about 5 minutes. Add butter a tablespoon at a time, beating until smooth, approximately 4-5 minutes. Beat in vanilla, scrape down sides gently and beat again for 1 minute.