Take German’s Chocolate cake to the next level with these cupcakes that are not only topped with the caramel pecan frosting, but also filled with it.
- For the Frosting and Filling
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut in bits
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 7-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, plus 24 pecan halves as garnish
- 8 ounces German's sweet chocolate , chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Make the frosting/filling: Combine the evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter is melted. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 14 minutes, until the mixture is golden and almost pudding-like (thicker than heavy cream). Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut and chopped pecans. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely for at least 45 minutes. (May be refrigerated).
- Make the cupcakes: place the chocolate in a bowl and pour ½ cup boiling water over it; stir until the chocolate is completely melted; stir in the vanilla and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Add the yolks one at a time, beating between additions; add the chocolate and beat until it is fully incorporated.
- Alternate adding a little flour and buttermilk, beating between additions, until both are fully incorporated.
- Spoon the batter about halfway up each paper liner. Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling in the center and top with the remaining cake batter. Bake 27-28 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the perimeter (not into the filling) comes out clean. Place the cupcake pans on a wire rack and cool. Remove the cupcakes from the pan (by inverting over the wire rack) and cool another 10 minutes. Top each cupcake with the frosting and garish with a pecan half.