This is a twist on a classic cream cheese frosting/filling. With the addition of crème fraiche you get an extra tangy frosting and the addition of heavy cream lightens up the usually heavy frosting. Get creative and substitute half of the cream cheese for goat cheese to complement a carrot cake or red velvet cake.
- 2 cups cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche, cold
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add cream cheese, butter, and sugar. Beat ingredients on medium-high speed until fluffy and lump free, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Change out the paddle attachment to the whisk attachment; reduce speed to low and add vanilla and crème fraiche. Mix until fully incorporated.
- With the mixer running on medium speed, add in the heavy cream; turn to high speed and whip until medium to stiff peaks form.