Chocolate mousse… could there be anything more decadent and satisfying? We don’t think so! Serve the chocolate mousse as it is, add a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream or use it to fill a cake.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided and very soft
- 3/4 cup melted good quality dark chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream, very cold
- 1/2 teaspoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small microwaveable bowl, combine the chocolate and 4 tablespoons of butter. Melt in the microwave, 40 seconds at a time until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Be careful when doing this as chocolate can burn quickly.
- Once melted, stir in the rum and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the cream to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- In a larger cold mixing bowl, combine the remaining cream along with the chocolate cream mixture. Using a whisk or handheld mixer, whip the mixture to smooth but firm peaks. Be careful not to over whip as the mousse will break and have a grainy appearance. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set the mousse in the refrigerator to chill until ready to use.