This cake is that kind of everyday cake you want around the kitchen. The crumb is moist, tender, tangy and flavorful. This buttermilk pound cake is best enjoyed the day after it is baked and has time to develop its flavors and to allow the glaze to really seep into the cake.
- Yield: 2 large loaves (6-8 Servings)
- Preheat oven 325 degrees. Butter or oil pans to be used.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl on the electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Mix in ½ the flour mixture until it disappears into the batter. Stir in ½ the buttermilk. When the buttermilk is mixed in add the remaining ½ flour mixture. Scrap the bowl down well. Blend until flour mixture disappears into the batter, followed with the remaining buttermilk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Yields: Cupcakes- 1/3 c or 2 ½ oz per cupcake 6” x 2” cake pan- 20 ounces 8” x 2” 36 ounces 9” x 2” 46 ounces - 1 full recipe 10” x 2” 56 ounces- 1 ¼ x recipe
- Note: A tube pan will take approximately 90 minutes, a loaf pan 60-65 minutes, cupcakes 15-20 minutes. Cake will pull away slightly from the pan and spring back when lightly touch in the middle of the cake. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.