This crisp may just be what Mother Nature had in mind when she created blackberries.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted pecans, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, diced
- 6 (6-ounce) containers fresh blackberries, (or 7 1/2 cups thawed frozen blackberries)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Combine the flour, oats, sugar, pecans, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers until you can form it into clumps.
- In a separate bowl combine the blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, zest, and extract. Add the cornstarch and toss until well distributed. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the filling.
- Place a sheet of foil on the oven rack to help catch any drips as the crisp bakes. Place the crisp on top of the foil and bake until golden brown and the juices are thick and bubbling, about 50 to 60 minutes. If the top begins to get to brown, loosely cover the crisp with a piece of aluminum foil. Remove from the oven and cool at least 20 minutes before serving.