The Waldorf Salad was created in the late 1800s in the newly opened Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, and was an instant hit. The bright, bold flavor epitomizes the New York spirit – so what better way to serve it than on the iconic New York bagel?!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1 gala apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2/3 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 4 sesame bagels, halved horizontally
- To cook the chicken, bring 3 cups chicken broth to a simmer in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, 1 pound, and cook, turning once or twice, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 165F, about 12-14 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and allow to cool before cutting.
- Combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, salt and pepper in a bowl. Combine the chicken, grapes, apple, celery, walnuts, chives and tarragon in a separate bowl. Add mayonnaise mixture to the chicken mixture and stir well to combine.
- Toast the bagels. Place 4 bagel bottoms onto each of 4 plates and top each with 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Set bagel tops onto salad and serve.