Heavenly light, fluffy pancakes with just a hint of nutty corn flavor and crunch, topped with fresh orange-scented strawberries get our vote for one of the most perfect breakfasts here on earth.
- 2 (16-ounce) containers strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Combine the strawberries, sugar, vinegar, and orange zest in a bowl. Toss well and refrigerate at least 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, maple syrup, and extract. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of the oil on the surface of a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium. Pour in three scant 1/4 cupfuls of batter and cook until the top of the pancakes have some bubbles and the bottoms are lightly golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes over and cook 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer until browned. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the warm oven. Repeat with remaining oil and batter.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the strawberries and their juice.