Pumpkin is the secret ingredient that gives this smoky chili savory-sweet, creamy richness.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Yield: 6 cups (4-6 Servings)
- Course: Entrée
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high
- Add the onions, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook, breaking into smaller pieces with a spoon, until turkey starts to brown, 8-9 minutes.
- Stir in the ancho chili, chili powder, cumin, oregano and allspice; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the pumpkin puree, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.