While shrimp scampi gets all the fame, chicken scampi is just as deserving of our love and devotion.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Add half of the chicken to the skillet and cook, turning once, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate then add the remaining chicken to the skillet and repeat
- Return the skillet to the stove and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and butter. Stir in the onion, garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until the garlic just starts to brown, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the chicken and cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Add the parsley, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute. Serve over rice.