Creamy risotto may be the quintessential comfort food, and a labor of love for the cook, who must stand at the stove for a half hour in order to get it to just the right consistency. The rice should be creamy on the outside, with a gentle bite, or substance in the center.
- 5-6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 pound sliced button mushrooms
- 1/3 pound shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup Madeira wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Entrée
- Bring the broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan set over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 4-quart nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the button and shiitake mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, about 6-7 minutes. Stir in the chicken, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper, and cook until the chicken is lightly browned and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl and reserve.
- Return the Dutch oven to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in the shallots and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until opaque, 1 minute. Pour in the wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth and cook, stirring often, until it has been absorbed. Continue cooking, adding broth 1/2 cup at a time and cooking until it has been absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup, until the rice is tender, about 25-27 minutes. Stir in the tarragon and cook 1 minute. Add the reserved mushroom mixture, cheese and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, cook, stirring, until hot, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.